If your kitchen is looking cluttered and messy, spring is a great time to give it new life. Kitchens can be tricky because the dishes and gadgets often exceed the storage space. A little resourcefulness can go a long way, though, in making everything fit.
Consider these ideas for shaping up your kitchen this spring:
- Hang your cooking utensils – If there’s not adequate storage space for cooking gadgets, try hanging them. One idea is to put up a magnetic knife rack.
- Use baskets and storage boxes – If you lack drawer space, try putting your kitchen items away in baskets or storage boxes. Label them and arrange them neatly on shelves under the kitchen counter. The labels will help you find what you need at a glance and will also ensure that you put things back where you got them.
- Install open shelves – Open shelves can make your kitchen experience smoother because they keep the things you need within easy reach. Instead of rummaging around in drawers and closets, you can have unfettered visual access to items on open shelves.
- Install a message board – The kitchen is the unofficial command center of most homes. Chalkboards or white boardscan help you post information for the entire family in one place rather than leaving random notes helter skelter around the house. The chalkboard can also help keep you on task throughout busy days.
- Hang pots and pans – Pots and pans take up a lot of cabinet space. They can also get pushed to the back of storage areas and become hard to find. An overhead pot rack can help keep essential cooking items within reach and free up spacefor other items.
- Install a pullout pantry – Try customizing your cabinets to include pullout drawers or baskets for kitchen accessories. Pull out shelves and drawers give you easy access—even to the things lurking at the back of the pantry.
- Organize your drawers – People tend to throw things into drawers in a big jumble. Install dividers in drawers to keep everything in its proper place.
Most of us spend a lot of time in the kitchen. If we want to make it an inviting place, it’s imperative to establish order. Streamline your kitchen, and feel the benefits in your every day life.