The refrigerator is essential in the kitchen. When you buy a new fridge, you are making a long-term investment, and it is important that you are aware of the different options available to you. Refrigerators come in various designs and style. You will find a refrigerator to fit most spaces and to coordinate with the surrounding décor.
You need to consider several factors before buying a fridge, such as capacity, installation limitations, look, and features. If you want to get a refrigerator with additional features, be prepared to spend a little bit more than you normally would.
The following are the most common types of refrigerators:
- Top freezer refrigerators – These are the most popular and the least expensive types of refrigerators. They feature a freezer that is located on the top portion with a refrigerator at the bottom. The freezer typically consumes a third of the total refrigerator volume. This type of fridge has plenty of room and can accommodate large dishes or containers.
- Bottom freezer refrigerators – This variety is designed following the same configuration as the top freezer refrigerators except, of course, that the freezer section is at the bottom. The freezer section may be opened like a door or like a drawer, depending on the design. The advantage of this configuration is that the fresh food section of the fridge is within easier reach than in the top freezer variety. Bottom freezer refrigerators are more expensive than the top freezer design.
- Side-by-side refrigerators – The side-by-side features the freezer and refrigerator parallel to each other, both taking up the full height of the refrigerator unit. Each compartment opens like the doors on a closet or cabinet, with the refrigerator side being slightly bigger than the freezer section.
- French door refrigerators – These combine the side-by-side design with the freezer at the bottom. They provide wide shelves and more room for the refrigerator section. They may come with two, three, or four doors for the refrigerator section. Some extra features such as a water and ice dispenser may be added. This is the most expensive refrigerator you can buy.
- Counter depth refrigerators – This style has less depth compared to the standard refrigerators. It blends in with the cupboards and cabinets, providing a seamless look.
- Compact refrigerators – For a miniature version of the standard refrigerator, opt for a compact. They are usually used for small spaces in offices or dorm rooms. They have very little freezing capacity.
- Refrigerator drawers – These are installed below the countertop, like a dishwasher. The drawers are pulled out to access fresh foods and other perishables.
After buying your new refrigerator, you can adorn it with appliance covers from Appliance Art. Appliance Art has hundreds of appliance covers that are made of either magnetic material or vinyl with adhesive backing. The covers will add an extra flourish to your new refrigerator.